Sunday 5 July 2015

The Messiah’s Secret  –  Holy is the Lord

Evening Lectionary Jeremiah 20: 1-11.  Luke 10: 1-11, 16-20.
Jeremiah looked for Israel to be a holy people, a holy nation, following God’s commandments, but instead, some worshipped idols. The Israelites were living at a time of prosperity, so their eyes were not fixed on God. 
The Israelites were called by God to consecrate themselves, “Be holy, because I am holy.” Lev 11: 44.  1 Peter 1: 16
Definition of holiness: sanctity, righteousness, goodness, purity, virtue, perfection and devotion. This defines Jesus in his holiness in his oneness with his Father.

Jesus prayed for his disciples to be holy, “Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth; as thou didst send me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in the truth.” John 17: 17-19. Sanctify and consecration both these terms are embraced in holiness

Jesus also defined holiness in the disciple’s appearance of having no wealth or possessions which sent out a message of being dependent upon God.
Jesus taught his followers to be like the lilies of the field and the birds of the air, totally dependent on God. In our gospel reading the realisation of those words the disciples were expected to live by faith that God would provide food and if necessary a bed for the night.
On their journey they were not to take with them a purse no money for lodgings and no bag to carry personal items and no shoes.
In Jesus’ day there were two types of shoes: the sandal covered just the sole of the foot and was worn by the poor person, whereas the shoe that covered all the foot was worn by those of means.
Therefore, their modest appearance plus the message that the Kingdom of God is near and praying for the sick, they would be respected as holy men.

Bishop David, Bishop of Manchester wears sandals.
Article Church of England website
Bishop David's seminar on Franciscan Spirituality October 2014
“Whatever the weather or occasion, Bishop David wears  open-toed sandals as part of his Franciscan tradition.
"They remind me that I need to keep close to the ground (the words for ground and for humility have the same Greek root),' he explained.’that means two things. Firstly, I must tread lightly on the earth. Secondly, I must not be seduced either by the respect paid to me as bishop, or by the rich and powerful people in whose company I may often find myself. I need to be true to myself and my place as a servant and child of God."   
What he said, spoke of what Jesus was teaching his disciples, and for today’s Christian I think holiness is not denominational.

The disciples returned
When the disciples returned they were overjoyed and commented that even the demons were subject to their authority in Jesus’ name.
Jesus said that they were not to rejoice in the power that they had over spirits, but to rejoice over their names written in heaven.
As I see it, He was directing them to give glory to God, rather than glorifying themselves.

Jesus worked closely with God his Father 
Jesus spent many hours in prayer and always wanted to glorify God in what he said and did.
“ The word which you hear is not mine but the Father who sent me.” 14: 24.
”The works I do in my Father’s name they bear witness to me.” John 10: 25 “What ever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” John 14: 13.
 “All that I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me from them.” John 17: 10.                                                            
 The words of Jesus praying to his Father for his disciples having given to them “All that I have is yours and mine,” is like a heart beat in the Lord’s body, the church and we the church giving glory to Jesus our Lord and God. 

Christian’s ministry to evangelise  
We all are given opportunities to evangelise, but go from town to town proclaiming the good news about Jesus and live by faith is one of the gifts of the Spirit. I’ve known people who were evangelists and lived by faith; one couple gave up their jobs and were totally dependent upon love gifts as they went about sharing the good news of the gospel. They had connections with Holy Bush Farm in Northallerton where a revival took place in the 1980’s.
Others have taken up the calling the vocation of being a Pastor, Minister or a Vicar and are supported by the church.                                                   

Collect for this Sunday Trinity 5
Almighty and everlasting God, by whose Spirit the whole body of the Church is governed and sanctified: hear our prayer which we offer for all your faithful people, that in their vocation and ministry they may serve you in holiness and truth to the glory of your name; through our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ, who is alive and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.

God’s calls us all to be holy, to live holy lives
 “Be holy, because I am holy.” 1 Peter 1: 16,
Paul wrote, “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” Romans 12: 1        
 It reminds me of the hymn and chorus’, “Let everything within me cry holy,” 
“I will offer up my life in Spirit and truth.”

The other week we stayed at Scargill House on a week’s walking holiday, in conversation with one of the people on the walk, about this passage in Luke, I said that I felt far from this bench mark. He said that he and his wife had been thinking about living a simpler lifestyle. They have been Christians for approx eight years. 

Finances He paid off his debts                                      

Possessions They had a room where things had been stored for years, too good to throw away and they might come in useful. He was aware of the growing content of this room.  

He could see his witness through making a deliberate choice of being content with a simpler lifestyle.